‘You’ and ‘Your’ refers to you as a contributor to or user of Social Justice & Democratization Space.
‘Us,’ ‘We’ and ‘Our’ refers to SAGE and/or Social Justice & Democratization Space.
‘SAGE Community Sites’ refers to any similar SAGE community or social site developed and launched by SAGE.
Using Social Justice & Democratization Space:
2. We may modify this Agreement from time to time and such modification shall be effective upon posting on the Social Justice & Democratization Space website. Your continued use of the Social Justice & Democratization Space website after we post a revised Agreement signifies your acceptance of the revised Agreement. It is therefore important that you review this Agreement regularly to ensure you are updated as to any changes.
Your Intellectual Property
3. By posting material on the website or by submitting material to be posted on the website, you grant to us a royalty-free and non-exclusive license to post your material on Social Justice & Democratization Space. A non-exclusive license means that you are free to use your own copyright material in any way you wish. Because website information can theoretically exist online in perpetuity you agree not to revoke this non-exclusive license.
4. You agree to allow us to let other registered users use your material in the same way that we allow you to use the material of other contributors on Social Justice & Democratization Space
SAGE Community Sites (i.e., as contemplated by Paragraphs 7 and 8 below). In addition, you grant us the rights to:
- a) Use your material in marketing and promotional materials.
- b) Post your material to other SAGE Community Sites.
- c) Allow the British Library to collect and store your material for perpetual archiving purposes which may be accessed by third parties on the premises of the British Library and/or via the worldwide web. Such British Library users shall also have the right to make full copies of your material for non-commercial purposes in all mediums.
5. If we re-use your material we will credit the original material and its author. If a SAGE Community Site user uses your material, such user will be subject to the terms of Paragraphs 7 and 8 below.
Other Intellectual Property
6. Social Justice & Democratization Space and its content are protected by copyright, trademark, database rights and other intellectual property rights. You have no rights in connection with the Social Justice & Democratization Space website or its content except as otherwise expressly provided herein (e.g. rights in your own intellectual property contemplated at Paragraphs 3,4 and 5 above and the rights to other intellectual property contemplated in Paragraph 7below).
7. You may read our material or the material owned by other contributors and download and print extracts from the Social Justice & Democratization Space website for your personal use pursuant to the terms herein and as otherwise permitted by applicable law (e.g., under fair use or fair dealing copyright exceptions), provided the original material and its authors are credited.
8. You may not use, copy or adapt our Social Justice & Democratization Space content for commercial or profit-making purposes without our prior written permission except in the case of content submitted by you. Subject to the terms of Paragraph 7, you may not use material owned by other contributors without their respective prior written permission(s). We cannot grant you permission under this Paragraph to use such material that we do not own.
Your responsibilities in using the site:
9. Your warranties and responsibilities to SAGE and the Social Justice & Democratization Space website:
a) You warrant that the material you post or submit for posting to the Social Justice & Democratization Space website will not violate any existing copyright or other intellectual property right of any party, including but not limited to design rights, patents and trademarks. If you are using any work where the copyright is not owned by you and fair use or fair dealing copyright exceptions do not apply, you must get permission from the copyright owner. If you are unsure whether a particular work is subject to a copyright exception, then obtain written permission or do not use it. Even if material is widely used by others, do not assume it is in the public domain. Make sure that you have the right to use material from a creative commons license by tracing back the material to the original copyright holder. (Others may erroneously ‘license’ work that is not theirs on a creative commons (or similar) template. If you use the material of others in a fair dealing/fair use context, you must be sure to acknowledge the correct source and copyright holder. Further, if you are submitting or posting your own published work you must make sure that you are authorized to grant us the rights set forth in Paragraphs 3 and 4 above. Even if you have retained copyright in your work, you may have granted rights which control reuse of your work to your publisher. You must check the terms of your contract with your publisher and, if necessary, obtain written permission for reuse. If in doubt, you must obtain written permission from your publisher or not use the material.
b) You warrant that your material will not violate any other third party rights, including but not limited to the rights of confidentiality, privacy rights, publicity rights, proprietary rights and trade secrets.
c) You warrant that your material will not contain any libellous, untrue or inaccurate statements and will not infringe any rights of others.
d) You warrant that you will refrain from posting content that could be deemed offensive, pornographic, obscene or profane or that could incite or promote any violence or racism against any group or individual, or which encourages any unlawful act or omission.
e) You warrant that you will refrain from making personal attacks on individuals, companies, organizations, or institutions.
f) You warrant that you will not submit or link to any files containing any virus, Trojan horse or corrupted data that might destroy, damage or render inaccessible any files or data on any computer. You additionally warrant not to engage in any conduct with respect to the Social Justice & Democratization Space website or its users that involves the transmission of junk mail, chain letters, or spamming.
g) You warrant that your contribution will not link to any websites that contravene Paragraphs 9 (a) to (f) above.
h) You warrant that you will not use Social Justice & Democratization Space as a forwarding service for any other party’s website.
i) You warrant that you will not use Social Justice & Democratization Space to advertise goods or services or make any direct sales, even if on behalf of a charity or non-profit organization. You are permitted to mention products that may be relevant to a discussion thread or topic but you agree to do this in a proportionate manner. SAGE reserves the right to remove content that goes beyond what we in our sole discretion consider to be proportionate and may require that you cease promotional activity.
j) You warrant that you will not impersonate any other person, whether a public figure, private individual, or any person connected with Social Justice & Democratization Space or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity, or to obtain access to Social Justice & Democratization Space without authorization.
k) You warrant that you will not falsely state or represent a connection with an individual, organization or institution.
l) You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your username and password. You warrant that you will not use the account, username, or password of another party, or disclose your own password to any third party at any time.
m) You agree not to circumvent the security features of this website, including hacking or attempted hacking, disabling servers or disrupting in any way the hosting of Social Justice & Democratization Space.
n) You agree not to use any oversize fonts or Java scripts. Please only use the facilities provided by Social Justice & Democratization Space for content creation.
q) You agree not to use Social Justice & Democratization Space in fraudulent, deceptive or misleading way or in a manner that is otherwise illegal or promotes illegal activities, including by phishing or otherwise obtaining personal or financial information in a misleading manner or for fraudulent or misleading purposes;
r) You agree not to use Social Justice & Democratization Space in a manner that is in any way harmful to minors;
s) You agree not to interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper functioning of Social Justice & Democratization Space or prevent others from using Social Justice & Democratization Space;
t) You agree not to use Social Justice & Democratization Space in a manner that disrupts the normal flow of dialogue with an excessive number of messages (flooding attack), or that otherwise negatively affects other persons’ ability to use Social Justice & Democratization Space;
u) You agree not to access or manage any user’s account or to monitor or copy Social Justice & Democratization Space or the content contained within it by any manual or automated means including agents, robots scripts or spiders;
v) You agree not to facilitate the unlawful distribution of copyrighted content;
w) You agree not to use Social Justice & Democratization Space in a way that includes personal or identifying or information about another person without that person’s explicit consent;
x) You agree not to use Social Justice & Democratization Space in a way that employs misleading email or IP addresses, or forged headers or otherwise manipulated identifiers in order to disguise the origin of content transmitted through Social Justice & Democratization Space or to users;
y) You agree not to ‘stalk’ or otherwise harass any other person;
z) You agree not to collect, use or disclose data, including personal information, about other users without their consent or for unlawful purposes or in violation of applicable law or regulations;
aa) You agree not to request, solicit or otherwise obtain access to usernames, passwords or other authentication credentials from any member of Social Justice & Democratization Space or to proxy authentication credentials for any member of Social Justice & Democratization Space for the purposes of automating logins to Social Justice & Democratization Space;
ab) You agree not to use automated means, including spiders, robots, crawlers, data mining tools, or the like to download data from Social Justice & Democratization Space – except for Internet search engines (e.g. Google) and non-commercial public archives (e.g. archive.org) or “well-behaved” web services/RSS/Atom clients. We reserve the right to define what we mean by “well-behaved”;
ac) You agree not to post irrelevant content, repeatedly post the same or similar content or otherwise impose an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on the infrastructure for Social Justice & Democratization Space;
ad) You agree not to attempt to gain unauthorized access to our computer systems or engage in any activity that disrupts, diminishes the quality of, interferes with the performance of, or impairs the functionality of, Social Justice & Democratization Space;
ae) You agree not to use Social Justice & Democratization Space as a generic file hosting service;
af) You agree not to take any action that may undermine the feedback or ratings systems (such as displaying, importing or exporting feedback information off of Social Justice & Democratization Space or for using it for purposes unrelated to Social Justice & Democratization Space); and
ag) You agree not to develop, invoke, or use any code to disrupt, diminish the quality of, interfere with the performance of, or impair the functionality of Social Justice & Democratization Space.
10. You agree to indemnify SAGE, its affiliates, and their respective directors, employees and agents from and against any claims in respect of a breach by you or an alleged breach of any of the above conditions.
11. Please notify us immediately in the event you become aware of any material that breaches any section of Paragraph 9 above at email@example.com
12. Users should be aware that any material posted on the Social Justice & Democratization Space website comes from a wide variety of sources (including third party sites) and our hosting of the Social Justice & Democratization Space website should not be taken as an endorsement of the views represented in any content or as a representation of our own view or position. SAGE, its affiliates, and their respective directors, employees and agents do not assume responsibility or accept liability for any of the comments posted. Please be aware that SAGE is not responsible for the privacy practices, or content, of third party sites. SAGE encourages its users to be aware when they leave the Social Justice & Democratization Space site and to read the privacy statements of these third party sites. You should evaluate the security and trustworthiness of any other site connected to the Social Justice & Democratization Space site or accessed through this site yourself, before disclosing any personal information to them. SAGE will not accept any responsibility for any loss or damage in whatever manner, resulting from your disclosure to third parties of personal information. If you do create a link to a page of this website you do so at your own risk and the exclusions and limitations set out herein will apply to your use of this website by linking to it.
13. Contributions to Social Justice & Democratization Space are not moderated on a post-by-post basis. Please contact us immediately if you have a complaint against any posted material in accordance with Paragraph 10 above.
14. We have the right to remove, delete, reject, or refuse to post any material from the site at any time, with or without prior notice or explanation, for any or no reason, including content we believe could be unlawful or infringe the right of others in any way. We expressly reserve the right to deny, restrict, or terminate your access to the Social Justice & Democratization Space site if we determine, in our sole discretion, that you have violated this Agreement, or pose a threat to the site or its users.
15. We do not undertake to keep any material available on the website for any period of time. If your own content is important to you, please save it independently.
16. We assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, any communication by you or any other user. We are not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email due to technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or on the Social Justice & Democratization Space website or combination thereof, including any injury or damage to computer equipment related to or resulting from participation or downloading materials in connection with the Social Justice & Democratization Space website.
17. The Social Justice & Democratization Space website and services are provided “AS-IS” and we make no representations or warranties, express or implied (including any implied warranty, representation, term, condition or undertaking of satisfactory quality or fitness for a particular purpose). Furthermore, SAGE does not warrant that the functions of the Social Justice & Democratization Space website will be uninterrupted or error-free, that defects will be corrected, or that the site or the servers that makes the Social Justice & Democratization Space website available are free of viruses or other harmful components. All such representations and warranties are excluded to the fullest extent allowed by law.
18. We do not exclude or limit our liability for any liability that cannot be excluded by law.
19. Subject to Paragraph 18, IN NO EVENT SHALL WE BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, INCLUDING LOST PROFIT DAMAGES ARISING FROM YOUR USE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE, THE Social Justice & Democratization Space WEBSITE, EVEN IF WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
20. Any delay or forbearance on our part of enforcing these terms should not be deemed to be a waiver of the term, neither will it prejudice our rights.
21. If any of these terms are held to be unenforceable or invalid, the unenforceable or invalid provision will not affect the remainder of these terms, which will continue in full force and effect.
25. This Agreement shall be construed, interpreted, governed, and enforced in accordance with the laws of the State of California, without regard to its conflict of laws provisions, and the laws of the United States as interpreted by the U.S. federal courts of the Ninth Circuit. You and we consent to the jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of California located in Ventura County and of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.
26. This Agreement sets forth the entire agreement and supersedes all prior agreements, whether written or oral, between you and SAGE with respect to your use of the Social Justice & Democratization Space website. SAGE reserves the right to make changes to this Agreement periodically as further described in Paragraph 2 above. No modification or addition to any of these terms that you may propose will be binding on us unless made in writing and signed by our duly authorized representative.
27. DMCA and Notice of Violation of Copyright. If you believe your work has been copied and posted on the Social Justice & Democratization Space website in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please send notification to our Copyright Agent (see details below) with all of the following information: (a) identification of the copyrighted work(s) claimed to have been infringed; (b) identification of the claimed infringing material and information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate the material (preferably the URL(s) of the claimed infringing material); (c) your contact information, including your address, telephone number and email address; (d) a statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; (e) a statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notification is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or are authorized to act on the copyright owner’s behalf; and (f) your physical or electronic signature. The Copyright Agent for notification of claimed infringement can be reached as follows: Copyright Agent, SAGE Publications, Inc., Legal Department, 2455 Teller Road, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320; Facsimile: (805) 410-7008; Phone: (805) 499-0721; Attn: Copyright Agent.
28. All rights not expressly granted herein are reserved by SAGE.